Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Some food for thought about LAN connections through this nice little experiment with your android phone

Hi All,

As you may know from previous posts, I am not so dramatic at all about using a LAN connection on a dedicated PC for audiophile music reproduction. Why should transportation of the same amounts of bits through LAN, use so much more PC resources or be much less efficient or whatever more bad in some way. Mind you, i’m willing too accept that transporting bits through a LAN connection is somehow less efficient than through other means of transportation like: IDE, SATA, E-SATA, USB, Firewire, ect. But I would like too read a clear in dept explanation on why this is. Because it is the wide spread communis opinio amongst audiophiles, that isn’t worth anything too me. On the contrary.

So now that I just made a lot of 'friends' amongst audiophiles, I would like too suggest an experiment too cMP users.

What do yo need:
* your need a cMP setup as well as an Android phone with touch-screen that both have access too your home LAN-network.
* preferably a cMP setup on a partition which you can freely experiment with.
I have 3 partitions of 2,4 Gb each on my 8Gb kingstone SSD.
One partition is exactly fine tuned as per Cics recommendations. This is my ‘reference’ cMP setup.
Both other 2 partitions also contain a cMP setups. On one of these cMP partitions I have LAN enabled through running one extra service: ‘workstation’. If you are not familiar with assigning an IP-address manually, you might also want too enable the ‘DHCP service’
* an andriod smartphone with the app ‘RemoteDroid’ installed (free version is okay)
* a home LAN-network with WiFi access.
If your cMP and android both don’t have access too your home LAN-network, the Remotedroid-server app on your cMP setup and the remotedriod app on your smartphone will not be able too communicate with each other trough LAN.

Once botch your cMP as wel as your smart phone have LAN access you can do the following experiment.

Proceedings:
* download the ‘RemoteDriod’ server application from http://remotedroid.net/
* download Java.
* download DCP latency checker (you should have that app already if you have setup a cMP)
* enable ‘windows installer’ service
* install java
* stop ‘windows installer’ service
* start Remotedroid server by clicking on the Remoteserver.jar-file
The RemoteDriod-server will now show you the IP-address of the LAN connection of your cMP setup.
* install the ‘Remotedroid’-app on your android phone
* start the Remotedroid’-app on your android phone
* The Remotedroid’-app will ask you for an IP-address. This IP-address is displayed by the server app on your cMP-setup
* when the Remotedroid’-app on your android phone is working, the touch screen display on your smart phone will display an mouse pad that looks the same as you know this from your laptop.

NOW ONTO THE EXPERIMENT.
Move your USB-mouse around and look what latency values are displayed by DCP latency checker.
Now move the cursor around through use of your smart phone and look what values are displayed DCP latency checker.

It turns out that instructions given through USB cause much more latency than when same instructions are given through LAN.

Food for thought:
This makes me think about the efficiency of USB versus LAN. Too me it shows LAN is not so bad at all as a means of transporting bits onto your PC.
I also perfectly understand why inmate Ryelands can have superb sound quality through use of a headless PC.

Do try if you have a android phone.
It’s a very simple experiment.

Mark

Edits: 06/27/11 06/27/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.