Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

some guys at the Slysoft forum tried and measured it with reclock.: No HPET support in XP

Hi Grant,

Sorry for the delayed response.

I red those articles too, but I was under the false impression that the HPET wasn't working in XP because of: at the time when those articles were written (2002 – 2003), there were no drivers available for the HPET hardware. But that impression of drivers not being available than: was false.

As your research correctly shows HPET under XP isn't working. (although HPET shows up in the device list)
I found a thread on the Slysoft forum where some guys are checking the actual clock speeds with a program called 'Reclock'.
When they check the clockspeeds with the 'Reclock' program, it shows that XP (sp2 and sp3) can not use the HPET timer.

See: http://forum.slysoft.com/archive/index.php/t-22236.html

The reported 'raw speed' frequency by the 'Reclock' program under XP is: 3,5MHz. That indicates the PM timer is used.
If the HPETimer was working under XP, than 'Reclock' should have to report a raw speed of 15MHz.
So these guys on the Slysoft forum thread also show, that your research is correct. No HPET support in XP :-(

I didn't had the time too test the MS hotfix as described in KB896256 on the impact on sound quality. But I'll get back on that one.

Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • some guys at the Slysoft forum tried and measured it with reclock.: No HPET support in XP - hfavandepas 15:14:30 05/16/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.