Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Questions

thanks cics

went ahead and built the memory player, a big leap of faith to a guy who is a 'speaker' man rather than a source man!! I should have waited before asking my last question, as I suspected it became obvious once the build was underway.

I used the company's computer guy, and aren't I glad I did, had a few problems along the way. I'm a dummy with computers, so will not be able to answer any questions...will have to confer with him if some questions do come up. Basically, there was no way we could get the laptop HD working with it, and strangely enough any other HD we used that happened to be 250 gig also wouldn't work (we tried normal sized hd's he had laying about). So what we have in there atm is a normal hd (it says seagate barracuda 7200.11 if that is important) and is 320 gig. That seems to work.

Hope that is OK to leave in? If not then we have to overcome whatever the problem was that we encountered.

We did all the optimizations in the various documents (after running around various stores and buying yet another laptop hd that wouldn't work with it...grrrr.... so was getting very late in the day) including all the registry stuff.

Then I thought about the very little experience I've had with EAC, and recalled that to load all the data of the cd it needs to be loaded off the net. So tried to undo whichever the changes we had made that disabled the internet connection...and need less to say we must have missed something, so rather than muck about too much we re-installed XP and did it all again.

So what we have done is all the BIOS stuff, and from memory all the XP optimizations EXCEPT for the anything to do with regedit. He being a computer guy and not into stereo at all seems to be very wary about doing anything in regedit, and me being a computer idiot do not know enough to insist. I do have his agreement that if needs be I come back in a few weeks to do further changes to make the computer more closely match the documents.

But my main question, apart from 'is it worth doing the extra steps I mentioned' is about the use of EAC.

When you use EAC with this player, and the internet is disconnected (or even is it, I was sooo confused by what was happening I could be way off base, but I do recall stuff like disabling all virus protection which to me suggests we are not on the net)does that mean we are to enter all the data of the cd by hand??? if so arrggh. No doubt I've missed something in the documentation, even though I've read it half a dozen times (admittedly it gets a tad clearer each time, but I'm still a ways off completely understanding it all)

Also, am I to understand that with cplay we no longer use foobar? I've never even used foobar, so it's all new to me, and by the end of the night going backwards and forwards between three or four printed documents (AOBCT, Cplay and Cmp memory player and cMP installation guide) I must say I didn't quite know what was what, or even what day it was!! heh heh

I promise I'll only ask questions in the future after giving it a proper go, but these basic questions have got me stumped right now.

I'll start using EAC as I already have done ( by using the net for now) and then evaluate what to do next depending on whatever answers I get.

So do we use the net for ripping the data into EAC, and do I insist that he also do the regedits? (he thought that was why we couldnot access the net)

Gee, it looks mush bigger and sexier in the flesh than the photo!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.