Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: My experience so far with ferrite/cap filters on the P24 and P4

Hi Mark and welcome back from holiday.

'.....(V)HF AC pollution travels from the ATX onto the MoBo on all DC plus voltage P24 lines.
You may prevent (V)HF AC pollution travelling on the +5 voltage onto the MoBo, but (V)HF polution than will simply travel onto the MoBo through the other positive DC voltage lines (+ 12, -12, +3,3, 5V stand-by, Power-OK) and return through the combined ground too the ATX.
A clean and steady ground is equally important. ‘Zero' and ‘Ones' are recognized as a voltage difference compared too ground. So both supply voltage and ground have too be ripple free. Both are of equal importance. Also the clocks on MoBo and Soundcard are very sensitive too (V)HF polution on supply and ground.
It is even important too prevent (V)HF traveling through the SSD ontoo the MoBo.
I also use a 3 order filter on the power lines too the SSD. And also this give a little SQ improvement.
See photo...'

I realize I have to do all the voltages I was just surprised I did not get a bigger sq improvement on the 5v line, thats all.

'...How do you avoid DC bias in the ferrites (saturation of the ferrites)? The magnetic flux produced by DC plus and DC minus currents through the ferrite have too be equal too avoid saturation of the ferrites through a DC bias.
It's not clear too me how you know that the magnetic flux produced by the % volt DC + and DC - minus return currents on the black wires will cancel out each other in the ferrite. The ferrites will saturate and loose there effect if no attention is paid too DC bias. Currents on the P24 are high. See my P24 measurements. Almost 1 amp for the combined +5 volt lines. Most ferrites saturate when there is more than 0.4 amps applied on them. I think one can easily go wrong when just grabbing the 5 volt lines and a some black ones...'

I don't know if I am avoiding dc bias...as I posted before I use brute force (I now have approximately 10 ferrites on my p24 line...trying to include a black with another color line within a ferrite).

'...By now I have soldered the caps onto the P24 extension cable connector. I cut away the plastic on the side of the P24 connector on each side, this way it's easily solder the caps onto the small metal parts inside the plastic connector. See photo...'

I plan to solder also once I believe I have the right combo of ferrites/caps in the right places. Do you still use 440 uf before the ferrites and 47 uf after (roughly a 10:1 ratio)?

'...So right now I'm experimenting with 10mH ferrite chokes + caps on the P4 lines and the 12V power line too the Pico 160-XT. And whow (!) this also makes a very nice SQ improvement. I simply use the ferrite chokes which are inside these little noise filters. See picture. They are very cheap 3,50 euro's. And I can easily solder P4 connectors and caps too them...'

I would like to see a link to these devices to understand them better. What really baffles me is that with my old mobo I got a significant sq pop but not on my new mobo. Maybe it needs more breakin time, maybe its the difference between an ES2L and an S2L Ga-G31m mobo.

Please hang with me on this. I believe you are getting good sq pops but I alas am not...yet.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.