Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Update on external clock experiment

I have a shawn fogg modified oppo 980 which I bought to play my sacd's once I sold my scd1. This oppo (modified remember) provides a digital out bit steam of sacd converted to 88khz pcm which my dac will play. The oppo clock, which I have connected to the juli digital in, will reflect any clock associated with whatever disc I am playing. If I play a dvd it shows as 48Khz on the juli panel, on sacd's it shows 88Khz. I bought a 192 khz dvda to see how the clock, when used by juli, would sound through cmp/cplay @ 192. Well I did the experiment and while close, the internal juli clock beats it by a little margin. So I am disappointed by external clock ideas and probably will not buy the ART as a result.

Edit: 12/16/08 What a difference a day makes. I left my oppo on all night set at 192 khz and decided I should validate what I experienced and reported here yesterday. Well (he says embarassingly) the oppo clock now sounds better by a small marigin, the opposite of yesterday's experience. I don't know if that part of the oppo circuit needed burning in or what (never played at 192 before) but now it sounds wonderful. Further reporting to be made after prolonged listening..

Edits: 12/16/08

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.