Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Where would we be without brilliant mistakes?

I figure, at least, half of discoveries are due to this excellent mechanism.

I know I was glad to a 9 volts battery could be used and now this: better still!

I have made my first foray into linear supplies with a choke input supply for the JULI@. Followed by another LC section to get my five volts. I like the idea of the chokes blocking all of the high frequency noise going in either direction (or at least I think so!).

I love traditional supplied with tube amps and pre-amps so I thought WHY NOT?

One needs an eight volts, around 50 VA transformer to get it. Using low resistance chokes (8 ohms).

Another thing I would like to add is within the Mihaylov supply I would like to suggest a refinement. I think I will stick with the three terminal regulators here but instead of cascading voltage regulators I would think it better to have the first one wired as a constant current device and let the second unit do the voltage setting. I have seen this done so many times in the past I figure there must be something to it. I first came across this idea from Allen Wright's preamp cookbook.

Thanks for your report,

Rick McInnis

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Where would we be without brilliant mistakes? - rickmcinnis@dogwoodfabrics.com 12:30:20 07/26/10 (0)
    • LOL! - GStew 20:29:54 07/28/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.