Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

The Story about a 0.01 Ohm Resistor - Part One

Twenty odds years ago, I saw an audio electronics practitioner, who was my tutor, setting up a pair of speakers for a customer. At that time, I already have basic knowledge on setting up speakers and successfully built several pairs of speakers. I saw him using long chains of resistor to level the mid-range and tweeter. The chains of resistor consisted of various values, but strange enough, I found some values as small as 0.01 and 0.05 ohm.

I was curious as to why standard values couldn’t be used. He told me that standard values such as 0.1 ohm was far from ideal for setting up speakers; in order to achieve best accuracy 0.01 ohm was required. He also stressed that when perfect balance was achieved, either adding or removing a 0.01 ohm resistor would spoil the perfection and it would sound distinctly bad upon comparison.

Although he was a very experienced audio practitioner, I was very doubtful about his theory and had a lot of questions. Why I haven’t heard about that before? Why hi-end speakers weren’t built that way? Were human ears so sensitive to be able to distinguish the difference made by a 0.01 ohm resistor (equivalent to a piece of wire) on a tweeter or mid-range?

If what he said about cross-over leveling was true, all cross-over in commercial speakers would be inaccurate because only standard value resistors were used.

Guys, what do you think?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.