Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Also have a question about ADuM4160 isolator

Thanks for the speedy reply. You do connect AGND to Shdn with a jumper.

However I have another question. According to the USB Isolator web page, the designer only mentioned that the first connection ( Vin to Vbus) and hadn't mentioned the second connection, as in this paragraph here:

"Now, let’s discuss building the circuit. First of all, you need to understand one thing. This circuit is an isolator and consequently has two power rails and two grounds, marked GND and AGND. Don’t connect these two grounds together. Uplink side of ADuM4160 is powered from host USB bus, downlink power has to be provided form separate supply, usually wall wart. If you have 5V wall-wart capable of providing enough power to the USB device connected to the downlink port plus 10ma for isolator itself, you don’t need to build a regulator. Simply connect pad marked “Vin” to a pad marked “Vbus”. If your device is self-powered and have 3.3-5V supply, it can also be used to power downlink side of ADuM4160 by connecting it to “Vbus” pad."

And looking at the wiring diagram, AGND is connected to the input return. Why is it needed to connect to Shdn?

Thanks again for your help.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.