Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

I am afraid my fragile ego will not allow me to show

how horrible it looks!

I am using Allen Wrights silver foil so an already difficult job becomes more of a difficult job.

I went ahead and used what I thought were the correct points (thanks, Alfred, twice!).

It may look horrible but it measures properly (going from jack at the end of the breakout cable to the corresponding point of the new, directly attached, BNC); no additional resistance.

I am not using a computer case, as I have said before (I hope to no one's distraction) so I am not constrained by where the new jack needs to be. I used one of the analog boards attachment holes for the back plate and used a (what are those things called that you bundle wires with? One end inserts into the hole in the other end ...), that thing, and that is all that secures the BNC. It has a plastic body so there is no chance of it interfering with anything else. I am using an AMPHENOL 75 ohm connector that allows solder connections because I seem to be incapable of crimping.

BUT, it does sound much better. I cannot describe any special area that it improves. Of course, when one's mind knows that this HAS to sound better it is hard to not go along with the mental inertia. Nonetheless, I feel certain there is much more information being passed along and in the spirit of cMP squared, it seems to allow more information to be passed WHOLE, there is more of that feeling of a waveform presented as it was heard by the microphones, not jumbled up in the rough and tumble world of digital manipulation.

Now I wonder if, for those of us who will never use it, if removing the TOSLINK stuff would make for an improvement? It seems to me it can only be adding a little interference with all of that flashing and pulsing and the fact that it does have to be powered.

I ask Alfred if he thinks this could be worthwhile?

Now to install the latest cPLAY. Thanks cics, yet again. As Stephie tells Jeeves, "you are the particular dream rabbit".

Bye,

Rick McInnis

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.