Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Just ordered - thanks for the notice

Grant,

I have been somewhat skeptical of contact enhancers in the past.

I have found they usually were more of an equalizer, they actually harmed the connection at first but maintained the same state of connection for a long time. Most of the improvement people heard with the old CRAMOLINS and such, I think, were from the fact they had done some cleaning, or, at least, just moving the connector in and out of its jack, did some marginal cleaning.

Now, this stuff, as explained by you, sounds pretty interesting. The fact that we are dealing with LOW voltages, one would think, this product would be advantageous.

Are you really putting this stuff on the pins of the CPU and the socket?
I have no fear of doing this though I think those that have never touched the MB socket should be aware those pins are fragile. I learned the hard way. I thought they looked stiff so when I accidentally touched a socket with my finger and figured it would be a good idea to remove the residue from my finger I was shocked, and disappointed, to see that very little effort was needed to ruin the socket and, in addition, the MB.

I would think one should use the solution to wet a paper towel or a cotton towel NOT A TERRY TOWEL, and lightly dab at the socket. Move only UP AND DOWN. NO sideways movement of any kind! What has been your experience?

Is a simple wipe all that is necessary for the "pins" of memory and the PCI cards?

As Clark Johnsen has said, you know when a music reproduction technology has been perfected when TWEAKS no longer do anything. I do not think this will ever happen, so THANKS for bringing this tweak to our attention. We make progress, usually, in tiny steps. In my recent experience only cics's PC TRANSPORT has brought us such a long way in a short period of time. For this we are grateful. But, we can never dismiss "smaller" tweaks and their cumulative effects.

Assembling a good system for playing music is like a weight removel program for a racing car. You cannot pick and choose where you will eliminate weight, you look at everything, even an ounce taken away from a pedal, and other such parts, will add up to a surprising number.

As an aside:
The first GREAT loudspeaker I ever heard were the DAYTON-WRIGHT electrostatics. I remember being absolutely awed by Mr. Wright's idea of placing the elements in that gas bag as the most clever way to allow for an electrostatic speaker that could get loud without (excessive) arcing. Now, they did absorb power, you could never have enough, but they were a revelation. After the BELL LABS guys basically invented everything, there were few who had a unique conception of "how to do it". Mr. Michael Wright is an innovator. I must say I have no idea of what he up to in this century.

Thanks, again,

Rick McInnis

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.