Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Windows Help please (before I have to rebuild my cMP)

In my over zealousness to remove all unnecessary Windows XP services from my cMP machine, I may have hosed my machine. I can't login!

I used autoruns to help me remove a bunch of services. I THOUGHT I was only removing services related to Networking/Printing/etc. Unfortunately, when I boot the OS, I'm prompted for the Administrator password at the login screen (which I had previously disabled) and have no ability to get past this point ("Windows is unable to authenticate...."). This is in spite of the fact that there is no Administrator password....

Two questions:

1) Is there another way I can get around this problem? I've tried booting into Safe Mode but still can't get past the Login screen.

2) If and when I get past the login screen, what services do I need to reinstall for Authentication (I assume this is what is not allowing me to login)?

Here are my caveats:

My Windows XP installation disk does not contain Service Pack 2. Because of this, it can't read my 500 GB disk (and only sees it as 128 GB). Reinstalling Windows will require me to reformat the drive and cause me to lose all of my Music, previous installation, etc.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.