Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: I need to enable something in bios to set up and format a new hdd...

Theo,

I don't have the answer for your question, but I do have the work-around I would use.

Shut your computer down, disconnect the current harddrive, then connect the new harddrive in it's place. Then put your Windows XP CD in your CD drive and start the installation process. At one point in the process, you get the opportunity to setup a partion on the drive and then format it. Do that, then shut the computer down as soon as that's done. Voila', you now have a formatted harddrive!

Doing it this way means you don't have to undo all those carefully entered customizations in Windows XP.

You can then connect your current harddrive back where it normally goes and the new harddrive to the 2nd drive position and see the new harddrive in Windows Explorer. Of course, I assume you are now wanting to copy the contents of your current harddrive onto the new harddrive without having to install and customize Windows all over again... if so, let us know and we'll have several suggestions on how best to do that.

Greg in Mississippi

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.