Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

May be you mean: saturation by a large DC magnitizing force ?

Hi Bibo01,

It just sprang to mind that Charles Hansen might be pointing at saturation of the ferrite by a large DC magnetizing force. As described on page 109 and 110 in the article from ferrite manufacturer ‘Steward’ (see link below)

According the article this can be prevented by always feeding only a pair (or group) of wires through the same ferrite bread, that carry equal and opposite direct currents. This too ensure that there are always equal but opposite DC currents, which will result in a zero net magnetic flux density, this way preventing saturation of the ferrite.

It is good that you brought this too attention.
The P24 supply cable on which I also want too try the ferrite breads, consists of eight black ground wires, five red 5 Volt wires, 4 orange 3,3 Volt wires and two yellow 12 Volt wires.
In a cMP setup these wires carry approximately:
- 3,5 amp on the five 5 volt red wires,
- 0,3 amp on the four orange 3,3 Volt wires
- 0,12 amp on the two 12 Volt wires.
So careful cable-dressing amongst the black and the colored wires might be necessary, so too try too distribute all opposite fluxes evenly throughout the inside of that cable bundle.

May be it might also be a good thing, once that cable is dressed up, too twist that dressed up cable bundle a few times, so to make all wires in that cable bundle too come too the surface over some distance, in order too bring all wires close too the ferrite for some length inside the ferrite bread.

Anyway, thank you for pointing on the possible saturation of the ferrite bread. As I think this is what Charles Hansen probably ment.

Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • May be you mean: saturation by a large DC magnitizing force ? - hfavandepas 17:10:18 05/30/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.