Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: How I use my NAS

Hi Theo,

* The Buffalow NAS, I bought 3 years ago, already had a 500Gb HDD inside.
The only thing I had too do was configuring the NAS through it’s build in browser-interface:
- assigning a fixed IP address
(this way ensuring it always keeps the same IP-address in my home LAN)
- Making the NAS a member of my home workgroup
(assigning a workgroup name too the NAS)
- creating users, passwords and user rights.

When the NAS is up and running and other computers can ‘see’ it in the home LAN as an extra drive, you can use it as any other HDD.
So I than copied my music-files too the NAS.

* My cMP^2 PC (aka HTPC) can connect too the internet (when the workstation service is enabled) through the router.
This I listen too internet radio with Foobar.
This is also the reason why I create 3 small partitions.
On each partition I installed XP which tweaked in various way’s.
- an ‘XP audio lan’ partition: almost 100% according too Cics recommendations
- an ‘XP cplay’ partition: for cMP^2 and 100% according too Cics recommendations
- an ‘XP audio’ partition: only light way fine tuned XP.

When I still used the Samsung HDD there also was a fourth partition: ‘My Documents’.
On this partition I stored: music files, driver cabs, program installs and image backups.

* direct LAN connection between NAS and cMP.
I vaguely know that it is possible too connect 2 PC’s together without the use of switch or hub. There have too be special preparations done, too make that work.
So MAY BE (!), it’s also possible too connect a NAS and a cMP directly together.
But I don’t know how. And also I don’t know if a NAS has the possibilities too configure it in a way that it will function in such a special direct connection.
Inmates with real indebt network knowledge may know ‘if ‘ and ‘how’ this may possible.

* Hardware needed too connection cMP to NAS or router.
Since the cMP is a PC only an UTP cable is needed too connect it too a local area network (LAN)
But ….. on a network there is network traffic. And this network traffic has too be controlled by a traffic controller: the router.
The router controls the traffic on the local network and also handles the traffic from the internet onto your LAN and vice versa.
Look at the router as the ‘post office’ and ‘the postman’. The post office assigns post box numbers (local IP addresses) too all LAN participants.
If a LAN participant wants to communicate on the LAN, it does so by sending a message too the router (too the default gateway) asking the router too deliver that specific message at IP address so-and-so. This IP-adress can be on your LAN but also can be on the internet. So without this ‘Postoffice’ and ‘Postmen’ function a LAN will not function. Without a router there is no traffic control, no post delivery, no post box number (IP-adress) management, ect.
So between your cMP and a NAS needs to be a traffic controller.

But……. The good news is: you already have a traffic controller (a router).
Otherwise you could not be connected too the internet and you could not be reading this message I send you through the internet and your router onto your PC.
Most modern routers for home use already have a 4 port switch build in.
(check at your router)
So chances are very high that you only need a UTP cable between (the build in 4 port switch on) your router and your NAS.

If (the build in switch on) your router doesn’t have enough LAN commutation ports left, you can ad extra LAN communication ports, by adding an extra switch. See figure in my previous post.

* What hardware do I use to connect the NAS?
I still have a very odd ball, old fashion (but fast!) 20 Mb/s ADSL modem + router in one box from 2004.
Because it’s old, it only has 1 LAN communication port. It has no build in switch.
So I had too buy an extra switch.
That switch has 16 LAN communications ports.
So I can connect up to 16 LAN ‘participants’.
My old modem + router (in one box) controls the traffic on the LAN between those LAN participants.
I only bought the NAS.
It already came with a short 4 meter UTP network cable in the box.
The NAS is stored down the corridor inside the meter-cupboard.
The meter-cupboard down the corridor also houses the modem+router, the switch and the wireless LAN connection point.

Piew…. Long post. I hope it’s helpful and clear.

Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: How I use my NAS - hfavandepas 08:18:01 02/01/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.