Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Granite Digital PSs

Good questions.

I see a standard PC PSU and a power cable going into the case through one of slot covers at the back, is this 2nd power cord for those Granite PSUs?

Yes.

What is the purpose of Granite digital PSUs (mentioned as secured under the CD/DVD drive)?
Is the purpose to power hard drives and minimize ripple on main PSU powering motherboard?

See this for background information. HDDs generate a great deal of power supply noise pollution. See this for noise measurements on both 5V and 12V lines using an oscilloscope. When this load is taken off the main PSU, we get cleaner voltage lines and the 5V line is measured here. Edward did a great post here on his experience.

Granite Digital's PSs allows for other components to be externalised. It offers a standard SATA connector and a Molex connector. These Molex connectors are used to power other computer items:

1. CD/DVD-ROM Drive
  2. wireless mouse USB receiver
  3. ROM drive's USB port
  4. Touch screen LCD monitor (which uses 12V line)
  5. Touch screen USB connection

This is a lot of stuff and they're bound to pollute the critical mobo and CPU power lines (12V1 & 12V2).

Would not the same be achieved if externally mounted SATA hard drives with their own PSU are used?

Yes this would work for HDDs but doesn't help with other stuff mentioned above. I also wanted a single box solution.

Thanks.

PS - sorry for all those links.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.