Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

WARNING: Lenco Turntable Talk...

Hi Rick (...and apologies to all non-TT readers)

With such provocation and justification for thread deviation I now launch into LencoTalk...

RM: NOW, for someone with a massive plinth table I am amused with your not wanting to take a similar step for your cMP hardware. My "box" was based upon Mr. Nantais's recommendations.

I'm intrigued with the idea of a JN-plinth-inspired computer case... words alone will not do. Photos, photos please - and no shirking.

RM: Is that distortion in your photograph or do you have an arch in the front of your plinth ?

The plinth is not rectangular. The front is curved (actually quite evenly drawn by hand before the bow thingie showed up !).

The sides are non-parallel too (look for the cut-lines) such that the back spans 23" and the front is 21" (finished height is 8"). This makes for an interesting perspective, and diffuses laterally-reflected energy.

RM: I see you improvised in your CLD formula. I like the idea of staggering, though I did not.
Heh heh, there's more to it than that. JN prescribes an equal mix of Baltic Birch and MDF - but is that by layer count -or- by weight ? Tricky question.

Does not the ratio change, when the cutting is done ? You bet. When all the dust settled, I weighed the BB and MDF separately...

By weight, they are 54:46 in favour of the BB... close enough for my purpose.

RM: I see you eliminated the top plate. Do you have the bearing mounted into wood? How did you do this? Very interesting. (Did you get the bearing improvement kit from the fellow who used to work at LENCO ?)

Well... not quite eliminated, as much as precision trimmed, at a metal shop. To accommodate two tonearms (and get the motor as far away from their arcs of travel), I wanted the speed selector front and centre. You see what that lead to. The remaining pan is the original mounting plate for all the Lenco mechanics - with standard bearing support/ mounting. The pan is Direct-Coupled to as much BB surface area as possible.

I bought the bearing upgrade kit from Joel (available through Lenco-Lovers) and was stunned to see the spin-down of the platter increase dramatically. This suggests smoother rotation, and shows up as "better" sound (...there's that "better" again).

RM: I do think you need to finish the thing. It looks bare to me. I would recommend many coats of thinned shellac. I put shellac on all of my DIY audio stuff.

I'm leaning toward a simple Birch veneer (cheap, wide and available locally at Home Depot). There's an issue with sanding such large surfaces evenly, but my friend has a machine to do that. Maybe when the warmth of Spring returns, and it's comfortable to work in the garage.

RM: I am downloading the file. Are you saying you made this with your LENCO ?

Yes, recorded a few months ago. The Lenco does all things vinyl VERY WELL. Nothing that some KiloBucks couldn't improve on though (12" or linear tracking tonearms, crazee expensive MC carts, an assortment of precious step-up transformers, etc.)... but right now it sure sounds "in the ballpark". (Used the Monster L75 > ADC1 to transfer a pair of records for CD re-issue - no tapes survive, only LPs. Results were stellar).

That's all the yak for now - gotta go play something with cPlay v2.0b14-SSE2 (the shame of it - stuck in the cPlay cheap seats...)

Next time, we can talk about a shoot out between cMP and the Monster Lenco... in some cases it's a very close race.

Cheers,
Grant

That's not a Toy... IT'S A TOOL !!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • WARNING: Lenco Turntable Talk... - gjwAudio 22:39:38 12/06/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.