Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: indeed very nice and very informative post too. thank you for that.

Hello Mark,

You are right to say that it is not known what performance from a PSU is required to get the best from cMP. We have still to work that one out!

My case is that I wanted to experiment with a choke PSU. If you read John Swenson’s post – this was his strong recommendation. So, partly, I was guided by his advice but not entirely. I have, for example, heard amplifiers and even DACs with choke power supplies and believe that they are characteristically “smooth”. However, whether or not this experience necessarily translates to a PC power supply is a fair question. I am not certain. You also make a point about commercial designs being “complex”. It strikes me that this so because they are designed with other uses in mind, whereas the Swenson design has one use in mind – digital audio.

If you are asking me: How did I know for sure that something bespoke was the best way to go? The truth is I didn’t – I simply had the opinion that something built to a proven design with quality parts by someone who I trust would give me a better result than the alternative. However, if someone whom I trusted had made a strong recommendation for something commercially available that worked for digital audio, my decision would have been different. But that hasn’t happened.

Regards,

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.