Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: What about some of the newer Intel Processors for building a PC?

Specs only offer TDP and Halt State power figures. Exact power consumption depends on core voltage for which power figures are not given.

Only way power is measured is at the AC plug with system doing different tasks and with different configurations (eg. overclocking). Here's a recent and very useful measure across different CPUs and frequencies (thanks n_vincent):

E2140 offers low consumption (M0 stepping would be better and is not shown). E1200 is best (when not overclocked) - this is due largely to lower L2 cache. I've tested E6300, E2140 and now the E1200. Sonically, E1200 is a further improvement to E2140 (@M0 stepping).

For DVD, if you're planning to use zoomplayer, a faster CPU is a must. My E6300 coped well with a reasonable amount of PAL video upsampling - increasing to 2 times, E6300 failed to cope with the load. A DVD player (like PowerDVD) using onboard video chipset for processing is not CPU intensive. Either E1200 or E2160 (E2140 is no longer available) would do.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What about some of the newer Intel Processors for building a PC? - cics 00:05:19 03/01/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.