Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: I am using the H55m-UD2H

Removing unneeded components on the H55 board will reduce small amount of current from the 3.3V and 12V rails, but not the 5V one. If your BELLESON reg. is capable of delivering more than 2.5A(need some reserve during boot up), I think it will power the 5V.

I use ordinary tools, a Taiwan made butane soldering iron and cheap hot air gun of unknown origin(China?). Quality and price of these tools are not major issues as long as they can delivery sufficient heat, and most of them do unless they are too small in size or power. If you really want to try, I suggest you buy cheaper ones if you will not using them frequently.

I recommend a heat gun with a regular nozzle. Focused ones will require good attention or you might end up heating up other components. Too hot at a certain spot will cause small components to float or fell off too! You should focus on desoldering the chip with the gas iron. The heat gun is for background heating and support, I would say providing 65 to 70% of heat energy. If it is not used in support of a gas iron, heat will be draw away by the board and you can near remove a single chip.

If you're not an electronic hobbyist, you should try removing components from unused boards a dozen of times or more, until you really feel confident.

Your board need more heating up than regular ones because of the 1 Oz copper therein. With an unused board, you should try heating up the back of the board with heat gun, time it, until small resistors can be removed by a paper strip. This is a negative test to determine the maximum timing you can heat up the board without the small components falling off and you should avoid such prolonged heating.

When you are ready,try remove the sound chip first easy one as its back is not soldered to the board (the one at the corner) and then the network chip (directly above the word "ATI", more heat required as the back is soldered). Most difficult ones would be the two video chips - not sufficient space. I suggest you call me then.

Good luck!

Edits: 11/15/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.