Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Two more devices to disable

cics wrote:

From Device Manager you can disable the following under System Devices:
1. Microsoft System Management BIOS Driver
2. System Board

As we all know, if you right-click each line in the Devices Manager > System Devices list, some have a "Disable" function, others don't.

On both the Biostar and Gigabyte MoBos as well as on an Asus skt754 board now replaced, I can disable every device that can be disabled with no apparent ill effect.

These typically include several lines called "Motherboard Resources", a "Direct Memory Access Controller" and so on. I had expected that some at least would either cause problems or "freeze" the system but none did. There are no Road-to-Damascus improvements either but the step seems in line with cMP2 design goals.

A slight exception was the Biostar, where I recently had to re-enable the third "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge" to install a PCIe 2xSATA card for extra HDDs. (With hindsight, I might have done better to change the MoBo for one with four SATA ports as it would have been easier to do and as I need to run with Issass enabled when pulling data off the new HDD under cMP.)

On a different and purely cosmetic point, it bugs me that Windows shows e.g. "My Network Places" with the obduracy of a drunken sailor on shore leave even on a machine with no network interface.

The following Registry changes stop "My Network Places", "Shared Documents" and the Control Panel from being displayed in both Explorer and cMP's navigation menu.

Expand:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}

Select the ShellFolder and, in the right-hand pane, select New > DWORD value; name it Attributes and enter the value 20180000 to hide "My Network Places".

Expand:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

(If there is no Explorer folder, right-click Policies, select New > Key and name the folder Explorer.)

Select the Explorer folder and, in the right-hand pane, select New > DWORD value; name it NoSharedDocuments and set it to 1 to hide "Shared Documents".

Select the Explorer folder and, in the right-hand pane, select New > DWORD value; name it NoSetFolders and set it to 1 to hide the Control Panel, Printer and Network Settings buttons.

These changes can easily be found and checked on the usual web sites but I thought some folk might like them listed here: even if they are only cosmetic, anything that lessens Microsoft's patronising whimsy has to be worth a look.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.