Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

How to implement many of cmp ideas for a non-dedicated pc

For example I still use pc for email, webb access but have included some cmp ideas (external ps for hard drive) and most of cplay but feel I'm at a roadblock w/o implementing more cmp ideas. So how can I implement cpu under (or over) volting, under clocking and other bios settings w/o screwing up email/ webb access features? I did disable all virus stuff (that helped with pops/clicks). I did close out some unneccesary services and processes(that helped with ram availability for ram playback). Everything helped sonically. But now I want more. I have a dell dim e521, amd anthlon 64 x 2 dual core processor 4400+ , 2.3 ghz 960 mg ram physical ram extension. Since I am limited to 600-700 megs of ram for playback I want more ram, should I just get 2 gig or more? Again the balance between ram size and rfi is appreciated. Is brand of ram important if so what is recommended? Yes I will probably go xp pro sp3 to get awe ability but I want to get basics right first.

Hopefully I can get more cmp w/o going all the way.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.