Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Easy Minlogon without disabling WFP

At first, seger's method did not work for me. On a Biostar-based system, the original (492kB) winlogon.exe was restored on bootup on each of several attempts. However, if I first disabled WFP using XPLite, the instructions worked fine.

(On another system using an old Athlon CPU, I got minlogon to work by disabling WFP with XP-Lite and then just swapping the files in Explorer but I couldn't repeat the procedure on the Biostar until I tried seger's workround. I have no idea why but many thanks for the tip.)

The change is IMHO one of the most effective of cics's XP optimisations but, as is apparent, is not always easy to do. The advice to do it as the very last step of all and after the system is known to be stable is good.

One consequence I didn't anticipate (though, in hindsight, it's obvious) is that the second XP install in a dual-boot configuration will stop working if "minlogon" is implemented on the first partition. (I haven't tried it the other way round.)

See below for a site on the joys of minlogon.exe which is recommended even on forums catering for developers of XP-Embedded systems.

Best

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.