Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Jack, thanks for leading the way...

Thank you! Greg, Answers...

1st, what are the values (and in the case of the small blue cylindrical caps and the other non-Sikorel and non-Wima caps, the make) you used?

I only got 63V 22uf Sikorel, 16V 220uf will be better. The small blue cylindrical caps are 33n Philips MKP filter caps which you may find in filter circuits in some old machines. Old stock no longer under production. Red ones 0.22uf Wima, Green ones 0.01uf 1% Wima cap. I do not feel comfortable by just adding a 0.1 or 0.22uf cap to a E.Cap, so I added a 0.033uf to further improve hi-freq response. My normal practice is to add a 0.1-0.47 MKP cap, further bypassed by a 0.01-0.047 uf.

2nd, in many places you used a combo of Sikorel, blue cap, Wima (the red and green caps), in other places you used different bypass caps, and in some places you just used the bypass caps. Can you explain your philosphy of why which caps where?

It depends on the importance of the PS, balanced by factor of cap size. Eg, I just added simple bypass cap for the ITE 5V and PCIE supply which are considered insignificant to SQ. For the PS around the CPU and ram, they are heavily stuffed with cap combo.

3rd, which Black Gates would you use instead (if they were still available)?

FK perhaps but non that I would use due to cost. Consider the number of caps I used (I have been diying many projects), the use of costy components is not the way to go. Instead, diy skill and knowledge can always bring about good results. Say for example, a battery ps is way better than many costy components. A British U52 or mesh plate 80 tube cannot beat my battery tube HT supply, not to mention costy HT transformers and lower cost of the battery PS. In the current case, if carefully chosen under listen tests, a combo cap can at least perform as good as a single Blackgate or some times better.

4th, are there different types of Sikorels (like there are different types of Black Gates or Oscons)?

As far as I known, Sikorel is an unique series of cap with diffenent ratings.

5th, got a good international source for the Sikorels?

They are widely available in China. The easy way is perhap ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Siemens-Epcos-Sikorel-B41590-220uf-16v-capacitor-10-pcs-/270583478579?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f00083933

6th, can you give us some direction on how to duplicate your sleuthing and identify the different PWM circuits? I'm moderately familar with doing this for linear audio circuits, but not at all around motherboards.

Will do but need more time to examine the CPU 4 phase PWM PS. I will report when the investigation is completed.

Edits: 06/15/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Jack, thanks for leading the way... - jackwong96 07:07:39 06/14/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.