Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Questions

Well I'm sure you would like some good news eh? I finally got the digital out working (thank you, thank you, you're too kind). Simple really I spose, made sure the pull down in cPLAY showed outputs 3&4, and then made sure in control panel-audio sounds and devices that output 3&4 was showing in the juli@ soundcard thingymajig.

And yes, some nice improvements.

The noise has attenuated very much, except of course when the file loads. I originally had it sitting on top of the bass amp (quick and dirty setup), and even with no electrical connection between the deqx and the cMP there was a constant thud thud from the bass speakers, obvioulsy some Rf interference. For now I have thrown the cMP on the floor and that has fixed it temporarily. When I make a music rack I'll have to keep it seperate from all amps I guess.

Decided to bite the bullet and try doing the rest of the optimizations myself, if I muck it up the computer guy can fix it when we replace the h/w.

On that question, still a tad confused.

You answered

""""New hw allows for 145db SNR upsampling - default offers SRC @ 121db SNR which is excellent but @145db, this is state-of-the-art. Unfortunately, using it requires loads of processing power, hence new hw which provides ample CPU ability without any penalties by way of more power consumption and interference. In your case (and mine), you can now use SRC @ 145db SNR for 24/96 output. Trying same on lessor hw will result in distorted playback. This hw also caters for 24/192k. There's no down conversion.""""

So I take it that I was totally wrong (confused by recalling the graphs in the paper I guess) about why we upgrade the hw. We in fact do it to get a better sound to noise ratio, and not because we upsample to 192k?? In fact we don't use that setting at all, just stick with 96 which is what the deqx can see..is that correct?

I don't suppose there are too many dacs capable of 192 input. I'm probaly still pretty confused about that, is their a discussion here that explains it all?

Anyway, thought you'd like some good news from me rather than problems! Thanks.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.