Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Using 2 ATX PSUs??

Julian,

No problem in doing the optimizations with one PS & then adding a 2nd. In fact, I suggest that... build up your cMP with the stock CPU heatsink & a nearly stock PS and then convert to fanless and do PS mods after you have a stable, low-voltage, under-clocked setup that is running well (and that you have backed-up!).

Another tip that might not be in the cMP doc is to do the basic BIOS optimizations (disabling un-needed devices, etc) when you first power up the board before installing WinXP... do everything EXCEPT disabling the overtemp protections and lowering the CPU voltage to the ultimate level (keep it at about 1.0v). If you do this, WinXP won't see any of the un-needed peripherals and you won't have to un-install them and related software and drivers later.

On disabling the fan on the PS, in the Antec it is just plugged into the main board, so disabling it is just a matter of un-plugging it.

On removing the excess wires, if you are going to clip them, it is best to do it very close to where they are soldered on the board... otherwise the stubs can still act as antenna. But best in my mind is to unsolder them... not too hard of a job if you have at least basic soldering skills.

Finally, 1,000uf-10,000uf of caps across each voltage (not voltage line... several of the voltages have multiple lines to increase the current capacity) should be safe. Much less doesn't provide much benefit... much more and you risk damaging the PS at startup. Others may have different opinions here.

Greg in Mississippi

Everything matters!

Edits: 07/18/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Using 2 ATX PSUs?? - GStew 08:23:03 07/18/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.