Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: In other words, signal quality matters greatly

hey Bro, remember dr. fikusz had tried on using AES/EBU however the result is NEGATIVE..

What he said:
I am sure that a single ended connection is best for S/PDIF signal. I do not like toslink and I don't like AES/EBU either.
The "pro" looking AES/EBU connection is using XLR and it looks OH SO PROFESSIONAL WOWIE ZOWIE. We buy by the eyes. But the AES/EBU is not invented to be better. It is invented to be LONG DISTANCE.
The RS422 industrial data transmission from which AES/EBU derives can travel as long as 1,8 km (over one mile) on the twisted pair balanced cable. The S/PDIF in coax cable can travel up to few single meters. THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE. But the S/PDIF signal on both ends exists ONLY as simple single ended asymetrical signal. We must make it balanced artificially by means of adding a balancing transformer which badly distorts the signal. Then we use in our systems one metre cable (not one mile !) and we must use de-symmertization transformer on other end again. That's two unnecessary transformers, two too many for me.
In analog systems, the ballanced XLR has more meaning - as described HERE, but in digital - the signal itself is never trully ballanced, it is the sending media that is ballanced to make long distance possible.

so why is the AES/EBU sounding better on many transport/dac combos ?

Answer is easy. Because the S/PDIF on all transports that I have seen, and I have analyzed about 40 different ones - is made wrongly and it uses an ugly separation transformer as well. So in that scenario - S/PDIF can not beat AES/EBU because they both have the biggest limiting factor - the transformer."

Like my previous post, removing the pulse trans will help in sound revealing transparency.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.