Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Anybody using dc-filters on the 12V, 5V and 3,3V DC power supply lines?

Hey Playmate,

Yes I agree. Smoothing caps on the P4 power supply line, is an easy and very effective improvement. This ‘tweak’ started my ‘quest’ of improving the power supply. :-)

From what I read on the forum, moving to batteries is good move, but I think battery’s are too much of a hassle. The recharging, ect, ect.
So that’s why I chose not to move beyond linear supplies to batteries but instead to see how I can get the best out of Linear supply’s.

As for powering a picoPSU with a battery, keep in mind that a picoPSU only passes the 12 volt straight through the MoBo(when choosing the right picoPSU model). The 5 Volt and the 3,3 Volt are still processed by the picoPSU. Therefore using a picoPSU only gives some sound quality improvement when picoPSU models are used that leave the 12 Volt line untouched.

In spring 2010 I will try too assemble a setup with 3 linear PSU’s that power the 12, 5 and 3,3 volt lines directly and using a picoPSU too only power the PCC (Power control Circuit) on the MoBo too start the PC. See comments and suggestions from ForgotPassword, Gene_, and Bertel on this.

Thankx for keeping the forum informed on your progress.
New ways and new idea’s are always much appreciated and will bring everybody further and the road of optimizing the power supply.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Anybody using dc-filters on the 12V, 5V and 3,3V DC power supply lines? - hfavandepas 06:33:41 12/15/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.