Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Ever thought about remote controlling the cMP setup through smart phone or tablet?

cpu-frequency is not important, it's about the juice the cpu needs, am I right?

I'm no expert but I suspect the SQ of a mobo is affected by many things on top of power draw - quality of layout & components, how well bits conform to spec and so on. Power draw matters - but so do lots of things.

I'm looking at Asrock AD245PV3 and GA-D425TUD

You might consider boards such as Intel's D945GSEJT and D510MO or, if the budget is up to it, a Fit-PC. Unlike the Asrock, none of them need cooling fans. In my case, I assumed that Intel's boards would be reasonably well laid out but I've got no proof. They sound good. My Fit-PC sounds excellent though it's a modest spec.

maybe even underclocking/undervolting possible

Underclocking is relevant if your board has to support SSE4 instructions (i.e. can do 24/192 with cPlay) as boards that do are generally far more powerful than our application requires. Underclocking tames them - but it's a bit of a trick.

If you can live without cPlay-24/192, why not pick a low-power board that doesn't need taming and stop worrying about under-clocking? Such boards have, of course, fewer bits you can turn off - because they are not there to turn on in the first place.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Ever thought about remote controlling the cMP setup through smart phone or tablet? - Ryelands 14:14:33 11/06/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.