Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Where to start with Stabilant 22-A...

Hi theob

If you have the patience for the Scientific Approach (treat & listen, treat & listen, etc.) then begin with parts carrying the lowest voltages. As a rule of thumb, the lower/smaller the signal, the greater the improvement.

One could argue you want "the best" from your monitoring path before tinkering with your source (cMP machine)... that way you will hear even tiny changes upstream. (I spent a whole evening with my DAC1, and each time I treated a connection, I heard the improvement - including the clips inside the fuse holder - madness yes, bit it works for me).

Once inside the cMP box (again, if you really have the patience):

- work on the processing bits -

01. treat the CPU and listen
02. treat the RAM and listen
03. treat the PCI connector of the Juli@ and listen
04. treat the Juli@ breakout cable (PS2 end & SPDIF out socket) and listen
05. treat the destination end (D/A) of your SPDIF cable and listen
06. treat the signal lines of your hard drive(s) and listen

- work on the power supply side -

07. treat the CPU PS connector and listen
08. treat the mobo PS connector and listen
09. treat the main PS (any internal fuses, IEC connector & power cord) and listen
10. treat the "dirty" PS connections and listen
11. treat everything else you can find in the box we've not mentioned

12. now treat yourself to a strong beverage of your choosing - and know that few others will experience the joy of hearing the individual contributions wrought by these changes... Heh-heh... they're too IMPATIENT and will take the box apart only once !!

Remember, every metal-to-metal connection deserves a little Stabilant. Mike Wright (of D.W.) once told me it doesn't do much for mains power (coming from the wall socket)... but when I did my (standard, non-fancy) AC cables - plugs & IEC ends - things still got a little bit better. And the sum of many little "betters" sounds good to me.

I hope this helps and encourages you theob - it's sure to improve the stellar performance you've already achieved.

Cheers,
Grant

That's not a Toy... IT'S A TOOL !!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.