Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Direct-Connect BNC Mod..

Just finished testing it. It came out very nice... the sound with my Peter Daniel NOS DAC at 44.1, even through a BNC-RCA adapter, was much more tactile and impactive bypassing the breakout cable. This was the first time I was tempted to go that way instead of 192 upsampling through the Juli@! I may have to do this with one of my Juli@ cards!

It also came out very neat... see attached pix.

Note that the nut was scrounged from a fuse holder. You have to remove it when you put it into the computer and then put it back on... carefully because it wants to cross-thread. But do put it back on... it is a delicate connection at the board. And the washer is a rubber faucet washer.

Also, if you do this, be sure the card is completely seated in the PCI connector when you mount it... because it isn't as firmly mounted to the hanger, it can go in and only be partly seated. I don't know if it will survive getting turned on that way... be aware of that.

The BNC connector I used is available through Digikey and you can find it by searching for part number A97562-ND. To have room to solder the connections to the legs of the output transformer you have to grind a bit off the corner of the plastic base of the connector that faces the component side of the board ... you can see this in the first picture.

You can't get more direct without hard-wiring!

Greg in Mississippi

Edits: 05/13/09 05/13/09 05/15/09 05/15/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Direct-Connect BNC Mod.. - GStew 18:11:28 05/13/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.