Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Differences between SP1 & SP2?

I've got the same problem again, now stuck in cMP mode and can't get out. I've also running Win XP SP1 and wonder if it is caused by differences in the registry between SP1 & SP2 (or SP3).

cics, what are the registry changes that set cMP mode or XP mode?

Grant, when this happened before, I'd gotten out by accident. What I did was to attach the harddrive to another computer and tried renaming Explorer.exe in the Windows directory to Explorer.sav, then copy in Explorer.exe from another PC. Because it was an XP Home machine, it didn't work, but afterwards I reattached the drive to another PC and renamed the Explorer.sav back and then started booting into XP mode again.

But I'd like to have a simpler way to do this in the future. Making a registry change (via a file) would be nice.

In the meantime, I've found that if I set cMP to bring up the task manager at startup, I can use it to close the cMP tasks and bring up the Windows Explorer by selecting "File->Start New Task(Run)" and entereing "explorer.exe". From there, I can navigate to the "c:\Windows" and "c:\Windows\System32" directories and select various control panel items such as "services.msc" (to check services running), "sysdm.cpl" (control panel systems applet), and "appwiz.cpl" (control panel add-remove programs applet). This all works ok and isn't too cumbersome for me, but would be a pain for most people.

Greg in Mississippi
Everything matters!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Differences between SP1 & SP2? - GStew 06:53:51 08/17/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.