Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Effect of ferrite beads on dc power lines too P24, P4 and/or too Pico PSU’s

Hi all,

After reading this thread: 'Pro or con: Are ferrite beads at the end of usb and/or spdif cables really necessary?'
(see: http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=89660 ),
I did some google-ing too find a more specifc answer too this question than the genereal wiki-pages on ferriet beads could provide too me.

While doing so I stumbled upon this article ‘The Use Of Ferrites In EMI Suppression’ from ferrite bead manufacturer 'Steward’.
http://www.steward.com/pdfs/emi/technical/Use%20of%20Ferrites%20in%20EMI.pdf (also see link below)

On page 111 to 116 the article covers the use of decoupling capacitors together with ferrite beads too suppress PC board generated EMI that originates from the periodic switching of digital circuits. (see figures 19 to 23)

Seeing ferrite breads also being clamped on DC output lines on cheap AC-to-DC power supply’s, made me think:
* could ferrite beads placed on the P24 and the P4 power lines, improve sound quality?
(Just as smoothing caps are placed on the P4 line too improve sound quality.)

It also sprang to mind that placing ferrite beads on the 12 V volt AC power supple lines coming from a linear PSU that feeds a Pico PSU and/or the P4, also might further improve sound quality.

Are there any inmates using a cMP setup, who already tried this?

Since ferrite beads are cheap (1 – 3 euro’s depending on type/model) and ferrite beads are very easy too clamp onto the P24 and P4 DC power supply lines and/or too the 12 volt DC power supply lines coming from a linear PSU, I already ordered a few too find out myself if there are any audible effects. But it will take a few days for the ferrite beads to be delivered.

So meanwhile I’m curious if any other inmates already have tried too clamp ferrite beads onto the P24 / P4 DC power supple lines too suppress HF noise on these DC power supply lines. Or, already have clamped ferrite beads onto the 12 volt dc power lines coming from the linear PSU that feed a Pico and/or the P4.

If yes, my question is: did the ferrite beads have any impact on sound quality in a cMP setup?

Mark

Edits: 05/27/11 05/28/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.