Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

You made me go check!

Interesting what's happening on your mouse. I had to go look how I'd done it... heck, I'd set that up almost 2 years ago! I did mine just as described in the cMP documentation for using the Granite Digital SMPS's to power the USB header... cut the black & red wires, tie-in a 4-pin Molex plug to those wires going to USB recepticles, and plug the power supply, GD or my linear, into that. The black & red wires that go to the plug that fits on the motherboard header are not connected. But now that I type this, I realized that I didn't check if it was tied to ground... I checked, I hadn't done it on purpose, but I did tie the shield on the cable to the ground from the Molex plug and that gets tied to ground through the USB recepticle mounting screws (Hmmmm there's probably some opportunity for better grounding paths there).

To answer your question, yes, the ground on my 5v linear supply for the USB is tied to the motherboard ground. So it wouldn't hurt for you to do this & might fix your USB mouse problem.

Oh, and of course, the likely reason it worked with the spare ATX supply is that it was grounded through the P4 connector.

BTW, a quick experiment to try... plug your spare ATX into the AC without it being plugged into the P4 & the USB header... I'm curious if you'll hear a difference just due to having it plugged into your AC.

On the missing, lamented JackWong & memory power, yes, he was supplying the 1.35v/160ma for the memory from a single, large-capacity (11000 mAh) NiMH battery. He also supplied the 0.65v/120ma for the graphic core this way with a variable resistor to drop the voltage from the battery. I figure the memory supply is worth doing someday (since he said it made the larger impact), but likely pretty far down the road... and I'd like to do it with a linear supply, not a battery to avoid the battery housekeeping issues.

I hope this helps with your mouse issues!

Later!

Greg in Minneapolis
Everything matters!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.