Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: to helpfulDawnrazor

Hi Golo,

It took me 2 full reading of your post to 'digest' the info. I'm still struggling with the 'expert' jargon. Could you translate in layman language what the following means:

LOL. :) Sorry for the jargon. Though most of the questions are not about jargon just lazy speech. Sorry for that.

- 'IIRC' as in "And IIRC cplay needs a card that supports 32 bit."

IIRC= If I recall correctly

- 'to pad' as in "I think it pads everything to 32bit"

Whatever the bit rate you feed it, cplay adds extra bits and it outputs 32bit. Well at least that is what the specs say and there have been problems with cards or drivers that dont support 32 bit.

I THINK it is similar to what wadia does in a general sense:

http://www.wadia.com/technology/technicalpapers/Digital_Volume_Control_2.pdf

'FWIW' as in "FWIW I DO use the vc and run from the computer to amps"

FWIW= For what it's worth. Yes, vc is Volume Control.

Cplay only plays .wav and flac. Does it mean that Cplay only plays already stored audio files either in .wav and flac? Therefore CD live playback has to be done outside cmp2 as cmp2 doesn't read .cda files. Correct?
But let's say that I'm working on a piece of music on Adobe Audition which works at 32-bit with either .wav or flac files can I output the current file through Cmp?

Correct in that cplay will not read from disk. YOu have to rip that disk and then it will read the resultant .wav or flac files.

If you have that file from audition saved then yes it should read it no problem if it is flac or .wav.

Same with DC7 (http://www.diamondcut.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1), can I output the current file through Cmp?

If by "output", you mean save it to disk and have cplay read it, then YES provided the program works without the windows audio service. I would test that and if it needs the windows audio service then just keep that running. It is possible to do most of the operating system tweeks but not have to do them all!

The alternative PSU for the sound card looks far too complex for my skills.
I'm afraid I'll have to pass on this upgrade unless I can find someone in Australia who can do it for me.

Yeah, same here! Do what you are comfortable with and no more. I certainly am using store bought psus, and will be doing the advanced one where the granite psu is replaced with an additional psu that will power the cpu too.

Thanks again Dawnrazor for your willingness to help

Golo. I dont have a choice! It is part of the cmp2 license to help :) Though if you compress the dynamic range of ANY of the files you create I will come and hunt you down!!!!! :) Why studios and artist think everything has to be LOUD is amazing to me.

As an aside here is a response I got from a band I complained to:

Unfortunately I can't offer you any additional choices as far as the mastering is concerned. We went through a number of different options when we had it done, and chose the balance between loud and dynamic that made sense to us.

Here is the wave form I was complaining about...see any dynamics in there??

Also cmp2 has a cmp mode and an xp mode. You will probably be best off doing your audition stuff in xp mode and then switch to cmp mode when you want to listen. In xp mode you get a desktop and it functions like a normal though minimal computer as many services are stopped. In cmp mode there is no desktop, just a playback gui. Or you could use the EXPLORE option in cmp. It will make sense when get the programs installed.

And by cmp2, I mean cmp+ cplay.

D

Cut to razor sounding violins

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.