Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Revenge of the Power Supply Follies...

I've spent the last 1 1/2 weeks working up a pair of linear supplies to replace the Granite Digital 'dirty' supplies.

I'll do a full report later, likely this weekend, but I have several learnings to pass along on this:

1. They DO make a significant difference... not as much as the linear/hybrid on the ATX-24 and a pure linear on the P4, but a close third. Lower hash, greater clarity, better dynamics.

2. Quality of these supplies is VERY important. I first did them with 'ok' caps, thinking they wouldn't be important. After two incremental upgrades to better caps, I bit the bullet and rebuilt them with full-monty audiophile-ish caps... Jensen 4-pole at the diode bridges and Black Gates at the regulator outputs. And only then did the tonality start to sound right... and it's gotten better as they break-in. I still have a hard time believing that the quality of this supply makes as much difference as it does!

3. Plugging the 'dirty' supplies into a separate AC line produces the best results, even when using linear dirty supplies AND various powerline conditioners.

4. The Granite Digital units are really pretty good, providing a 'phatter' bass, but less definition and detail top-to-bottom than good linear supplies. But the Granite Digital units do have a very listenable tonal balance and don't have any glaring bad habits.

More later!

Greg in Mississsippi

Edits: 03/24/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.