Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Has anyone compared running with disabled video and enabled network?

A few months ago a friend and I gave up on attempts to mod minixp into accepting USB the way I needed. I had been counting on this before jumping to cMP. (cPlay however, has been in use for years in a "compromised" HTPC box. It did very well if I ran some scripts and turned things off).

I then looked at "mpdpup" and salivated a little...but it will have to wait for the next upgrade cycle (no drivers for my current USB sound device).

So, recently, I put together the basic cMP box. I am still in the process of tweaking things.

Relative to the video, which I have at its most base setting, EVERY step on getting closer to remove it has brought added benefits.

However, I am mystified by an unexpected result. For now, to turn off the monitor, I use UltraVNC. I can then access the screen from a tablet or another PC.

The expectation was that using VNC (and its CPU load) would STILL damage the sound. Yet, even with the dual core CPU basically using one core and at 900Mhz, using UVNC still fails to change the sound character. It stays great! At this CPU speed, I can force minor dropout if I move the screen elements too suddenly...which the "remote" function makes easy to avoid.

OTOH, just turning the monitor on is enough for me to notice a slight degradation...which BTW does dot even register as a change in the Task Manager, if it is on. Yet, the same Task Manager yells out if UVNC is on. Nevertheless, the sound is virtually the same in all respects; tonally, dynamically and image-wise, etc.

The mystery got to me so bad that I've had to try different audio systems and various headphones instead of speakers to make sure, to the extent that I can. A neighbor even blind-tested me and I him...none of us could cath a difference repeteadly.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? BTW, UVNC is arriving via ethernet. The wireless access is elsewhere.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.