Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: cMP - the open source high-end Memory Player-Newbie Question

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the jargon.

Eac is short for Exact Audio Copy which is a great free ripping program found at www.exactaudiocopy.de.

Accurate rip basically allows your rip to be weighed against an online database. IIRC this can speed up the ripping process while guaranteeing accurate results.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/overview/basic-technology/accurate-rip/

I dont know the criterion for being in the database but i am assuming that popularity has alot to do with it. None of what I like is popular and most is not in the database so for me it is not a big deal. Though if you have the kind of collection that IS in the database, then it is great and worth the effort for time savings and piece of mind.

In THEORY the computer hardware shouldnt have an impact on rips if the drive is set up right in the ripper program. In THEORY alot of things shouldnt affect the sound, but often they do. IMHO when ripping the software and what windows is most important after a correctly configured drive. So I try to rip with as many programs not running including antivirus.

Freedb is a free database that has the metadata for cds...you put in your disk and your ripping program like EAC looks at a database to figure out what the disk is. All I was saying is that if you follow the cmp2 recipe, networking will be disabled and to rip and get track names, you will need to put the Freedb database in the cmp2 box's hardrive.

In the 2 computer method you can use a thumb drive or an external usb drive to transfer files from the ripper to the cmp2 box. In that case, the internet will be enabled on the ripping computer and Freedb will be accessed through the internet.

Also here is a nice post to help you with setting up EAC for ripping

Cut to razor sounding violins

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.