Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: USB, cue sheets, latency, mouse, etc.

thanks cics

yep. 'removing' cplay did the trick (even if no music is being played it did not work unless cplay was not 'up'). that was the good news, trouble is on the lowest latency settings I got 'ticks' durimg playback. Still, at 128 (?) I managed to get playback w/out the ticks, better figure than before, but not 48.

As I don't have a keyboard on the cmp (need to find time to hook it up) just out of curiosity I did a serch on this computer for windows audio service (so I would know what I'm dealing with), but the search returned nothing. It is a bit embaressing really that I haven't the foggiest what you're talking about. Sorry.

I presume in the optimzations we did that function was switched off. Presumably again it was for improved sonic performance, which leads to the interesting question of whether the 'gains' of going outboard with usb outweigh the negatives of switching back on some windows functions.

I was hoping that I could somehow have both running at the same time, into two different inputs therefore allowing an a/b comparison. seems that won't work unfortunately.

I did remember another quick question. I may be different than most, but I use eac on this computer and simply transfer the data with a usb stick. In effect that means I never use the drive in the cmp. Of course it is fanless, and so the only noise (tho slight) I can hear from the cmp is the dvd drive (at least I think it's that, could hardly be anything else could it?)

Can I simply pull out the plug from the drive without any problems?? To be honest the noise doesn't bother me, and in any case this computer is certainly louder! Still, if it never gets used then why not disconnect it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.