Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

You can't beat the price

I took a look at it.

Where the the BLACK LION was cheap and cheerful (although it was BLACK) this thing looks simply CHEAP, not that that would bother me. One just wonders.

It seems to me for the purposes of home studio use, where as much as we would like it to otherwise, extraordinary sound quality is not the goal. DECENT quality is sufficient for someone wanting to show what they can do.

SO, the point of a clock, in this price range, I fear is just to synchronize all of this digital stuff Norman has laying about his home studio and there is no question this box will do THAT job and make his humble efforts sound better.

The question, though soon to be answered, remains: will this thing improve upon the intrinsic sound of JULI@? I suspect this device uses crystal oscillators, also. I am sure there is always a best of anything and maybe someone makes a REALLY good crystal oscillator, but somehow, I do not think that is going to make the difference we are wanting. I cannot conceptually see how this device could make a substantial difference for the better. I will rejoice in being proved wrong; don't get me wrong. It just seems unlikely to me.

I fear the only way to improve the "clocking" of JULI@ is the heroic and noble way; replace the crystals with fancy clocks. I am not anxious to do this since at the frequencies of the two clocks on JULI@ you are stuck buying expensive ones. I had asked Jim Hagerman if his kit clocks could be made available (I cannot remember if it was both or just one he does not offer) but he said no. I had asked the BURSON folks who offer a reasonably priced clock, and again they did not offer their devices in one or both of the needed frequencies.

I look forward to hearing what Theo hears.

On another front I got my BIG battery yesterday and in time will set up the picoPC power supply as recommended by Bernd and see what happens with this. If it doesn't make a differrnce I will have a first class filament supply!!!

Bye,

Rick McInnis

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.