Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

My choke supply is standard stuff

Using the HAMMOND 100mH 5A (195T5)choke between two caps - nothing clever.
Then on to the DANIELs PCB. I am able to use the PCB on the heatsink I had laying around which is absurdly oversized but better safe than sorry.

I am stealing Swenson's rectifier filter and using his recommended rectifiers for the P24 supplies. For the other supplies I used FAIRCHILD "Stealth" rectifiers.

BELLESON has led me to believe that the 2A reg will be able to do the job with a large heatsink. I am using the latest recommended MB which I hope will allow me to get away with this regulator. I can always plug in the ATX for outside of cMP duty like adding music files.

I am using heatsinks for the others, just not big ones. This is what I am using: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ohmite/RA-T2X-64E/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMttgyDkZ5WiumlCfl50RTwzl4D6wMWH1QQ%3d.

For the JULI@ and the P4 (what I have done so far) they are warm. No need for any more. To make them more efficient I am not using anything between the heatsink and the transistor. I am using that trick thermal compond the computer gamers use for their CPUs. One does need to make sure there is no way the heatsink comes in contact with anything else, though. You can touch them without getting shocked as long as you are not grounded! From what has been said about the P24 12 & 3.3V requirements I cannot imagine these not being sufficient. Nice thing about these sinks one can mount the regulator at the connector - the one for the JULI@ is on the board, for the P4 I am using about two inches of wire before the connector. The JULI@ regulator is not using the DANIELs PCB.

For P24 this will not be possible, obviously!

One can certainly make a shunt reg have a constant voltage - you have to add some kind of feedback and an error amplifier of some kind. This is what Allen Wright does and I feel certain Hynes does this also. Hynes uses lots of SMD devices so it hard to see what is actually happening. It has been awhile since I had the ones I have in front of me to look. Nonetheless, there is no other way.

For audio circuits the SALAS type reg is probably superior. There really is no need (that I can see) for voltages being absolute, though it is a nice bonus. One can worry about just what mischief an error amp and feedback loop can do - they still lag behind the actual event so you get the see-sawing. I would think a slow variation is better than the quick (but never quite quick enough) reactions of an error amplifier.

Not to say I hear anything wrong with the Hynes, and plenty of other people are keeping the man very busy, so it must not be much of a problem. (Excuse my going in circles)

My HDD is not a 2.5" so I guess I need to have both rails. I think you are right about separate supplies for USB and HDD. It is so easy with the DANIEL's PCB and fixed voltage versions of the LT1086. No need to push the limits of the regulator.

Now, if you could just tell me where I am going wrong with the "mouse" supply!

Thanks,

Rick McInnis

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.