Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Indeed: a wonderful summation (and very informative!)

Hi Greg,

I couldn’t agree more with Theo: a wonderful summation on cMP power supply.
Thank you for taking the time too write that down !
It’s also very informative and useful for me, as it very nicely paints the big picture on PSU improvements.

I was especially happy reading this in your post:
“The two largest improvements I ever heard during my cMP hardware upgrades were:
1) implementing the linear P4 supply and the linear/hybrid PicoPSU ATX-20/24 and
2) implementing separate power supplies for my sound card. Even going to a fully linear supply did not produce as large of a sonic improvement”.

For me this is very informative in 2 ways !

* First.
It describes the diminishing returns on sound quality improvement with each PS-improvement. Which makes me re-consider my aspirations for going fully linear, as I already have implemented:
- the P4 linear;
- the P24 linear/hybrid PicoPSU solution;
- the ‘clean’ and ‘dirty’ PSU concept, through using 2 PicoPSU-150-XT’s. Each driven by there own linear PSU.
- ‘smoothing’ caps on the 3.3v and 5 volt pins on the digital part of the Esi Juli@.

* Second.
Through your post, it’s now possible too (roughly) scale the sound quality improvement, gained by installing a small Kingstone SSD 8 Gb (with the PSU-improvements meantioned above already implemented).
Two weeks ago, I installed a small Kingstone SSD 8 Gb. It made a really big sound quality improvement. Almost as much as the combined P4 / P24 PSU improvements. I’m not making a hyperbole here. The SQ improvement was really far bigger than I ever expected from reading other inmates posts.

Combining the information in your post on sound quality improvements, with the sound quality improvements brought by thiss little 8Gb Kingstone SSD in my setup (music files on a NAS), it (might be) save to say:

- before going fully linear: first implement a (small ?) SSD.

Do you use a SSD in your setup? May be you could comment on this.

Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.