Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

What is a pgreek filter? google-ing returned no results

Hi Daniele,

What is a ‘pgreek filter’? I never heard of it.
Also google-ing came up with no results.
What is it?

* About the Pico and the switching noise it (probably) produces.
I’ve red that a Pico is also a switching PSU and thus ‘chops’ 12V DC into 5V DC and 3.3V DC.
So being also a switching PSU, the Pico probably also produces unwanted switching noise.
( I’m not completely sure about this. But I guess it must be)

I can understand your view and philosophy on the "garbage in/garbage out" principle.
I agree with: what you clean before the Pico, you don’t have too clean after the Pico.
But since the Pico probably is adding a lot of noisy garbage by itself, filtering AFTER the Pico can’t be left out.

Most likely this is why replacing the Antec Earthwatt ATX -> P24 with a Linear PSU -> Pico -> P24 in my setup, only gave very little and subtle sound quality improvement.
(Again: I’m not sure about this. But I guess this must be the cause)

Constructing and building a high quality linear PSU myself too power the P24 is far beyond my DIY skills. But constructing a L-section filter or an π-section filter through use of ferrites + caps is within reach of my DIY skills. Actually it is rather easy. Anyone can do it. No special skills needed.
And (very!) much to my surprise, the results are nothing less than truly spectacular.
Especially when compared too all previous PSU improvements I’ve already done in my setup.

Studying the picture of the inside of your Zahlman cMP setup I’m very curious what the schematic is of the DC filters I see being used before the Pico and also on the right side of the case.

Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.