Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Question for Gstew

Jolida,

First, apologies for not seeing your posts earlier this week... my work has been generally crazy the last couple of years and this was an exceptional week.

I'll catch up on this thread and put in my thoughts where I think I might be able to contribute.

Second, to your question about continuing to feed the motherboard PCI 5v into the Juli@ via the PCI connection and only feed it 3.3v from a linear regulator, there are consumers of 5v on the Juli@ digital board. It APPEARS that the 3.3v is the critical voltage for the Juli@ digital processing, but I don't know of anyone who has first fed just the 3.3v from a linear with a good regulator and then later added the 5v feed. I've only spent time with it after having feed it with both the 5v & 3.3v from a linear with good regulators. So my take on the relative importance is only an educated guess.

But, given that noise from the motherboard will be fed via the 5v connections into the Juli@, I do recommend doing both for the best results.

As for the Dexa for the P4 12v, that depends on your motherboard & setup... and ability to keep it running at that setup. I know my setup generally only requires 500Ma on the P4... but if it reverts to a 'safe' BIOS during bootup, it will pull much more... and if I don't notice that it is doing that, it will pull enough to damage the Dexa. And depending on whether a damaged Dexa fails open (good) or shorted (bad), it might also damage your motherboard & processor).

I'd recommend a LT1083-based solution here at a minimum and an AMB Sigma or a Twisted Pear Placid HD as a step up, and either a Belleson HV or a Paul Hynes as an ultimate solution. When I moved from an LT01083-based P4 to a Belleson, I got a very nice SQ lift.

Greg in Mississippi
Everything matters!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.