Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: cMP - the open source high-end Memory Player-Newbie Question

Hey T,

YOu CAN set things up to be able to rip from your cmp2 box if you want.

The standard build using the granite psu for the drives probably wont allow for this, but you could use a 2nd granite or use another atx psu. Cics had a link on his site under advanced for doing such a thing but it seems to have disappeared.

For a long time I just used a 2nd computer using eac. The nice thing is that you can get the accurate rip feature on eac if you have a collection that lends itself to that. And then just use a 2gb or larger thumb drive to transfer to your cmp2 box. If you also rip to that 2nd computer you will have an automatic copy which is smart IMHO.

Now I just use my cmp2 box with an external usb drive for the ripping. This means I dont have to use an extra psu since the drive is externally powered. I got the idea from Vincent Sanders whose opinion I really trust on this stuff, and he said that for some reason the external drives produced better rips. I also like the idea of a nice computer environment while ripping that you get from a cmp2 box. You can embed the Freedb database so internet is not needed. The downside is that the Accurate rip feature is not available, but in my case most of my music isnt there anyhow so it doesnt matter.

The nice thing about the 2nd computer approach is that you can be ripping while you listen, and that can come in handy when an audio buddy brings a cd instead of ripped files.

On the 2nd computer just make sure that you have the software configured for the drive. Eac is what I use, but there are others like DBpoweramp which is probably the easiest to use.

Cut to razor sounding violins

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.