Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Power supply compromise - output chokes for the ATX

those of you who have played with the power supplies I would appreciate your consideration and thoughts.

The more I think about all of this linear power supply stuff the more I wonder if we really need to go to that much trouble. What is it about the SMPS that makes it obnoxious?

All power supplies radiate (other than batteries) so that, alone cannot be ultimate "problem". One could see the high frequency switching garbage as a multiplex signal riding along the DC as a definite problem.

Reading the review of a NAGRA amplifier in 6MOONS today which uses an SMPS supply, along with the realization that LINN seems to successfully use them, also, makes me think we might be going to much trouble and not necessarily for good reason.

So my simple "solution" experiment is to see if a large high current choke on each voltage line. with the thought that the lesser the current needs the more HENRYS we can use (due to availability and size considerations)one would think these could filter away the offending garbage, or at least much of it.

I will try a 100mH 5 amp choke on the 5 volts line tomorrow just to see if the thing will still turn on. It will be interesting to see if the added series resistance (o.67 ohms) will cause a problem. At this point I just want to see if it will work.

Maybe I have missed this idea being discussed and if so my apologies for bringing up a settled discussion.

We'll see ...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.