Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: I don't think it is contrary

Thanks, Mark. Yes, an SSD is in plans.

For now, I am going step by step into this; to gain a better feel for "what does what". Since, at its worse, the new cMP box is still better that the previous setup, I can live with a few weeks of incremental steps.

This USB external vs SATA internal is one curious thing...just one of more to come, I suspect. I should add that the USB drive that I tested with does have its own walwart switching power supply. These are nasty little fellows, as you know. Thus, it is intriguing that the darn drive still manages to out-smooth the SATA internal. Or, maybe that's just it! Maybe the fact that the SATA drive is inside the box, closer to the PS, is the cause. I'll be looking into it later (easy to place that drive "outside the box") LOL!

BTW, pending more strict testing, having the ethernet on vs off is not making an audible difference so far. However, I have not tried listening to files drawn from the network yet. I left testing this for last.

On the electromagnetic fields, I do have to be careful here. I have a very crowded setup and no XLR capability for now. Thus, all power cables are shielded and I also place much emphasis on cable management & routing. It is challenging but it works. However, the new cMP box is not yet inside this environment. I placed it far away enough such that once I maximize its capabilities, I'll know if something gets screwed up once it is in "its final place".

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I don't think it is contrary - JBen 08:55:04 01/21/13 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.