Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: What VID are you using to get Vcore of 0.75V (and host @140)? Noticed that with EIST off, VID can go lower! nt

cics wrote:

What VID are you using to get Vcore of 0.75V (and host @140)? Noticed that with EIST off, VID can go lower!

Now that you pin me down, I have to say that I'm not sure what VID is in this context and my note may have been muddled as a result.

Whatever, in the BIOS's MIT menu, there is a setting for CPU Voltage Control. This is set to 0.75000. (Just below that is a note that the "normal" CPU Vcore is 1.15 v.)

With this setting (I've just checked), CPU-Z reports that Vcore is 0.704 but I have also noticed that the BIOS menu "PC Health Status" says that it is 0.724.

I know what VID is in general terms but as to exactly what these figures mean and which Vcore reading is right, I've no idea.

I have run the board with CPU Voltage Control set as low as 0.65 but, especially when cold, it tended to restore defaults on powering up so I settled on 0.75 and left it at that. (Some report SQ differences after making minute changes to CPU Voltage Control but I can't hear any.)

I have a hunch you're right about things being more stable with EIST off but I've not tested it systematically.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.