Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: CPU/RAM Tuning and Temperature Monitoring in cMP

Apparently temp monitoring problems are endemic with the 45nm cores - just google "E7200 temp". The sensors are not reliable until you get to 60° or more, and I don't trust BIOS readings. In your case, maybe too low (some people are getting readings of 9°!), or the result of room air conditioning, or miraculous Zalman heatpipes because the CPU should idle at 4-5° above room temperature, and in August, even here in damp England, that puts it over 25°! RealTemp's documentation is interesting. Could you try it - lightning quick compared to Speedfan - and do the calibration - temporarily putting a fan on heatsink, and setting frequency and voltage as they suggest, and see what temps you get. No, I won't worry, but I would like to have confidence in measurements, which I don't.

Gigabyte mobo decided to repeatedly disable CPU host settings after, admittedly, much to-ing and fro-ing in BIOS, and I had to clear CMOS and redo BIOS settings to get it back - this I add in case anyone else encounters it.

Antec (Seasonic)Earthwatt: I had the 380W version - not fanless, so not interested, and no quieter than the Seasonic S12 430W in my desktop PC. The fan noise detracts from the music as much as the ripple effect for me, particulary in quiet passages. I even have my HDD in a Scythe "quiet drive" box, and can't wait till I can afford SSD!

Edits: 08/08/08

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: CPU/RAM Tuning and Temperature Monitoring in cMP - seger 01:56:22 08/08/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.