Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Motherboard grounding question

First I want to say I'm no EE or grounding expert.

With that said, I'm slowly working towards a wood support for my cMP2 (not really a case) with separate metal shielding enclosures for the motherboard and the power supplies. I intend to tie the metal shield around the motherboard to the board. I also bring all my power supply grounds to the motherboard via the PS connections, making the motherboard ground plane the star (since that's where most of the circulating currents are created).

Theob, I keep meaning to respond to your original post about connecting to the wall socket gound and just haven't... I've been doing that too since going with the separate linear power supplies and also noted a difference (slight and subtle, but noticable).

On standoffs, I'd use either wood, brass, copper, or nylon, in that order of preference. I have damping rings from Herbie's tube dampers around the aluminum standoffs in my Zalman case and that also makes a worthwhile difference. An interesting thing about this is that at one point, I another 10 or so dampers just setting between the motherboard and the case bottom in addition to the dampers on the standoffs... that was WAY too dull. It was one of the first times I've ever gotten something over-damped.

Later!

Greg in Mississippi <- working on separate I2S-connected DAC cards now.
Everything matters!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Motherboard grounding question - GStew 09:40:59 08/29/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.