Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

P24 current measurements on individual wires ( on GA G41M-ES2L mobo)

Hi Theo,

I had planned too do some current measurements, So here are the results from my GB G41M ES2L mobo.

Yesterday I cut a P24 extension cable in half, tinned the naked wire ends and screwed all the 24 wires back together with help off little screw-on terminal blocks. This way I can insert my multi meter in each wire individually and measure current in that specific P24 wire. Pff the whole operation toke almost 4 hours. Too put the multi meter on a next wire, the computer has too be shut down. Once the multi meter is moved too the next wire, than the computer can be started up again. Ect. So it toke 24 shut down/start ups.

Especially since the first round of measurements where puzzling to me. So I decided too do a second set of current measurements.
Which again needed 24 shut downs and startups. :-(
But the current measurements stayed the same and somewhat puzzling.
The current is not evenly distributed amongst the wires of one voltage group.
Hmmm I find this somewhat strange.
Or could it be that I created ‘artificial facts‘ due too a faulty measurement setup or faulty measurement proceeding?

Anyhow, since I twice did fry a Gigabite G31 MoBo I now use a Gibagyte G41M-ESL2L
My last P24 measurements originate from the G31M mobo.
On that MoBo the 5 volt rails had the most current running.
But with this G41M MoBo the most current runs through the 3,3 V group!

So one just can not assume that every MoBo will have most current on the 5 volt group.
With this MoBo both the 3,3 V group and the 5 V group drawn much current.
So which voltage is ‘the power house’ in a cMP setup, depends on the MoBo used..

P24
pin
01 3,3V 0,23A
02 3,3V 0,19A
12 3,3V 0,18A
13 3,3V 0,17A
0,77A total

04 5 V 0,12A
06 5 V 0,12A
21 5 V 0,15A
22 5 V 0,11A
23 5 V 0,15A
0,65A total

10 12 V 0,02A
11 12 V 0,02A

The black GND wires have current almost equally distributed amongst them.

Information about PSU setup for this P24 current measurement session:
Linear PSU -> P4
Linear PSU -> pico PW-200-M -> SSD + USB bracket
Aerthwatts ATX -> extension cable -> P24
The measurements where done with a fully Optimized cMP setup according too cicsmemoryplayer website. So with LAN disabled in BIOS and Device manager. Additionally I also disable serial ATA channel 1 (in bios and device manager). And I also disable PCIe root ports in the device manager.

Although these current measurements give information on voltage and currents, thus making possible better decisions on which wires too group when clamping ferrites, I think all P24 wires need clamping because EMI noise is likely too travel around on all P24 wires.

Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.